Panoramic view in two parts of the racecourse at Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, taken by Deen Dayal in the 1880s. This is from the Curzon Collection: 'Views of HH the Nizam's Dominions, Hyderabad, Deccan, 1892'. Hyderabad was founded beside the River Musi in 1591 by Muhammad Quli Qutb Shah (r.1580-1612) as an alternative to his capital at Golconda. The town was laid out in a grid pattern with two main roads running east to west and north to south. The Char Minar, or Four Towers, built in 1591, sits at the intersection of these two roads.